As a member of the Liberal Government, I am extremely proud to be able to represent the people of Pembroke in the strong, stable majority government our State needs.
I have always advocated for my constituents on the issues which matter most to them. I’ve sought to assist with problems relating to utility bills and connecting with government services, as well as resolving neighbourhood concerns around problem trees.
My door is always open if ever I can be of assistance to you or your family.
As your elected representative and a Cabinet Minister in the Liberal Government, I am committed to working hard for my electorate and delivering the Liberal Government’s long term plan for Tasmania.
I am honoured to act as the Attorney General, Minister for Justice, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the Government in the Legislative Council.
I am responsible for delivering on a range of commitments and I am pleased to report on a number of key achievements.
Already we have:
• Put in place stronger protections for those who protect us, with the passage of laws in 2014 to provide for mandatory penalties against those who assault police officers;
• Delivered legislation to provide for a new Right to Appeal in circumstances where there is fresh and compelling evidence;
• Implemented new, robust procedures to ensure grants from the Solicitors' Guarantee Fund are spent in accordance with the terms of the grant;
• Introduced a ten year, fixed term for the positions of Director of Public Prosecutions and Solicitor-General;
• Committed $1.3 million to enable the Director of Public Prosecutions and Tasmania Police to establish a unit dedicated to tracking down and seizing unexplained wealth;
• Delivered our election commitments to preserve the competitive grants through Arts Tasmania, ensuring that $2.8 million is invested in organisation and individuals in our cultural creative industries in this State. We have also initiated a review of legislation in the Arts portfolio to ensure we have best practice, contemporary legislation.
Delivering on our long term plan
The Hodgman Liberal Government is getting on with the job of delivering our long-term plan for Tasmania. Tasmanians can rely on this Government to look after their best interests. The true test of any Government is how it responds to a challenge and I believe we have met these challenges head on.
Our vision is a Tasmania:
• That is more self-reliant and open for business, where everyone has the opportunity to enjoy our enviable lifestyle, get a job and raise a family;
• Where we can grow the economy and generate wealth to create jobs and afford better essential services like health, education and public safety, and;
• With a responsible Government that lives within its means, has the right priorities and can be trusted.
Our long-term Plan will:
• Provide a strong and stable majority Government to get things done, giving hope and confidence for the future;
• Deliver new jobs and economic growth. This is our number one priority;
• Fix the Budget mess. Tasmania cannot continue to live off credit. Fixing Labor’s $1.1 billion Budget mess will allow us to invest more in essential services into the future, and;
• Rebuild essential services, to make our communities safer and so Tasmanians can get the quality education and health care they deserve;
Honouring our promises
We are delivering on the commitments we made prior to the 2014 State election.
More details on how we are delivering on our Plan are available here.