As a member of the Liberal Government, I am extremely proud to be able to represent the people of Pembroke in the strong, stable majority government our State needs.
I have always advocated for my constituents on the issues which matter most to them. I’ve sought to assist with problems relating to utility bills and connecting with government services, as well as resolving neighbourhood concerns around problem trees.
My door is always open if ever I can be of assistance to you or your family.
Delivering on our long term plan
The Hodgman Liberal Government is getting on with the job of delivering our long-term Plan for a Brighter Future.
Our vision is a Tasmania:
• That is more self-reliant and open for business, where everyone has the opportunity to enjoy our enviable lifestyle, get a job and raise a family;
• Where we grow the economy and generate wealth so that we can create jobs and afford better essential services like health, education and public safety, and;
• With a responsible Government that lives within its means, has the right priorities and can be trusted.
Our long-term Plan for a Brighter Future will:
• Provide a strong and stable majority Government to get things done, giving hope and confidence for the future;
• Deliver new jobs and economic growth. This is our number one priority;
• Fix the Budget mess. Tasmania cannot continue to live off credit. Fixing Labor’s $1.1 billion Budget mess will allow us to invest more in essential services into the future, and;
• Rebuild essential services, to make our communities safer and so Tasmanians can get the quality education and health care they deserve;
Honouring our promises
We are delivering on the commitments we made prior to the 2014 State election. This includes:
• $94 million for job creation and economic growth initiatives across Tasmania; $64 million for education; $92 million for health; $35 million for police; and $27 million for community services and support to vulnerable Tasmanians.
• The election commitments were fully-funded by $500 million in savings measures announced well before the election.
More details on how we are delivering on our Plan are available here.
As the Attorney General, Minister for Justice, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the Government in the Legislative Council, I am honoured to be a part of the Liberal Government.
I am responsible for delivering on a range of commitments and I am pleased to report on a number of key achievements. We have:
• Honoured our commitment to make it a crime to desecrate a war memorial;
• Also put in place stronger protections for those who protect us, with the passage of laws to provide for mandatory penalties against those who assault police officers;
• Drafted legislation that will provide for a new Right to Appeal in circumstances where there is fresh and compelling evidence;
• Implemented new, robust procedures to ensure grants from the Solicitors' Guarantee Fund are spent in accordance with the terms of the grant;
• Delivered our election commitments to preserve the competitive grants through Arts Tasmania, ensuring that $2.8 million is invested in organisation and individuals in our cultural creative industries in this State. We have also initiated a review of legislation in the Arts portfolio to ensure we have best practice, contemporary legislation.
As well as these important policies, as a Minister I have been working diligently with important stakeholders from across my portfolios.
As your elected representative and a Cabinet Minister in the Liberal Government, I am committed to working hard for my electorate and delivering the Liberal Government’s long term plan for Tasmania.